— Mycology Specialist —
Pisatahua is looking for an experienced mycologist to help spearhead an innovative program to cultivate and produce mushrooms in the Aquicuana Reserve for local and tourist consumption. The selected candidate should have experience growing mushrooms from start to finish.
He/she will work alongside staff and two local communities (San Jose and Warnes) to determine the most effective source materials, strains and cultivation techniques. The selected candidate is also expected to help train staff, identify/photograph local fungi, and assist with the preparation of informational materials.
- Cultivation Program: testing and optimizing the process of cultivation. This includes substrate compositions, sterilization methods, inoculation methods, fruiting techniques, etc.
- Training community members and Pisatahua staff on small-scale sustainable mushroom cultivation.
- Searching, photographing and documenting wild mushrooms found in the Aquicuana Reserve.
- Supporting with the preparation of material for an eBook, “Mushrooms of the Bolivian Amazon.”
- Packaging and marketing is not a major concern as initial consumption is local.
- A degree in biology, microbiology or biochemistry is preferred
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- Experience growing mushrooms from spore to finish
- Minimum 3 month time commitment preferred
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and mental stability
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexibility and patience
We provide dedicated individuals the rare opportunity to live in one of the most biodiverse areas of the Amazon, while learning about plant medicines from traditional healers. All volunteers receive accommodation (at Pisatahua and Riberalta), food and drink, travel to lodge, and access to on-site activities and ceremonies.
$0. This position is available (with the benefits mentioned above) at no cost to volunteer.
Please send the following information to email@example.com, clearly stating your position(s) of interest:
- Your CV/resume
• A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to learn during your stay with us.