— Permaculture Specialist —
Working alongside our staff, the selected candidate will help plan and design the site. Together we’ll choose which trees and plants most suite the needs of Pisatahua and our community. The selected candidate will assist with the selection of species, collection of seeds, planting and maintenance of agricultural and medicinal crops within our nursery and agroforestry plot.
- Work alongside Pisatahua staff to establish a new permaculture site in the Aquicuana Reserve. This site should be a sustainable agricultural system that utilizes properties of agroforestry systems as found in the local ecology of the region.
- Teach permaculture techniques to local communities and Pisatahua staff; design and lead permaculture training workshops.
- Create, design and implement a plan for collecting and germinating seeds, as well as cultivating young plants.
- Identify species, collect seeds, propagate plants, and establish kitchen and medicinal plant gardens.
- Manage and create a strategy for crop rotation, composting and soil production.
- Create, implement and manage a comprehensive plan to meet the above stated goals.
- A degree in sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, tropical agriculture, horticulture, or related field is preferred
- Experience working in rural agricultural settings, especially in Spanish speaking environments is preferred
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- 3 month time commitment
- Completion of a permaculture design course
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and mental stability
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexibility and patience
We provide dedicated individuals the rare opportunity to live in one of the most biodiverse areas of the Amazon, while learning about plant medicines from traditional healers. All volunteers receive accommodation (at Pisatahua and Riberalta), food and drink, travel to lodge, and access to on-site activities and ceremonies.
$0. This position is available (with the benefits mentioned above) at no cost to volunteer.
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to learn during your stay with us.