Mental Health Specialist
Pisatahua is looking for a licensed professional in the mental health field to provide therapeutic support to our guests. The selected candidate will provide retreat participants with pre-arrival information and screening, on-site therapeutic support, and advance our post-ceremony integration program. We are particularly interested in integrative (holistic) approaches to both harm reduction and benefit enhancement.
Working alongside local staff and healers, the selected candidate will act as a bridge between traditional plant medicines and western psychology. He/she will work at the intersection of contemporary and traditional medicine as it is used, shared, implemented, and recounted in the Bolivian Amazon and beyond.
The selected candidate has the unique opportunity to gain experience working with plant medicines as a therapeutic tool. He/she is welcome to promote their own therapeutic work though Pisatahua marketing outlets and obtain clients for continued care and/or post-retreat integration work.
- Provide wise therapeutic support
- Help guests focus their intentions and ease anxieties (both pre-arrival & during retreat)
- Improve our medical/psychological assessments and contraindication screening processes
- Advance our psychological emergency response protocol
- Work with guests to address material that arises during retreat
- Further our approach to integration and our continuing care program
- Blog on topics such as creativity enhancement with ayahuasca, well-being enrichment, harm reduction, integration, or related topic of personal interest
Preferably, applicants should be licensed professionals in one of the fields listed below:
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
- Registered Nurse
- Nurse Practitioner
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Ordained/Commissioned Clergy and Chaplains
- Naturopathic Doctor (ND)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Clinical and Counseling Psychologist
- Physician and Psychiatrist
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- Minimum time commitment of 1 month on-site
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and mental stability; flexibility and patience
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
We provide dedicated individuals the rare opportunity to live in one of the most biodiverse areas of the Amazon, while learning about plant medicines from traditional healers. All volunteers receive accommodation (at Pisatahua and Riberalta), transportation to lodge, and access to on-site activities and ceremonies. The selected individual will gain experience working with ayahuasca as a therapeutic tool, while gaining access to potential clients.
$0. This position is available (with the benefits mentioned above) at no cost to volunteer.
Please send the following information to email@example.com, clearly stating your position(s) of interest:
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to learn during your stay with us. Include descriptions of your training in therapy or spiritual direction, and tell us how you integrate psychology and spirituality into your own practices of personal development.
* We may also ask for copies of credentialing documents and references