Pisatahua is looking for an experienced mycologist to help spearhead an innovative program to identify, harvest and potentially cultivate mushrooms in the Aquicuana Reserve for local and tourist consumption. The selected candidate should have experience growing mushrooms from start to finish.
He/she will work alongside staff and informants from two local communities (San Jose and Warnes) to determine the most effective source materials, strains and cultivation techniques. The selected candidate is also expected to help train staff, identify/photograph local fungi, and assist with the preparation of informational materials.
- Cultivation Program: testing and optimizing the process of cultivation. This includes substrate compositions, sterilization methods, inoculation methods, fruiting techniques, etc.
- Training community members and Pisatahua staff on small-scale sustainable mushroom cultivation.
- Searching, photographing and documenting wild mushrooms found in the Aquicuana Reserve.
- Supporting with the preparation of material for an eBook, “Mushrooms of the Bolivian Amazon.”
- A degree in biology, microbiology or biochemistry is preferred
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- Experience growing mushrooms from spore to finish
- Minimum 3 month time commitment preferred
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and mental stability
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexibility and patience
This position is available (with all the benefits mentioned above) at no cost to volunteer; however applicants will typically be required to pay for a retreat at the start of their volunteers work and make a multiple-month committment.
How to Apply
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly stating your position(s) of interest:
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to contribute during your stay with us.