Pisatahua is looking for an experienced permaculture specialist to help spearhead an integrated agroforestry site within the Aquicuana Reserve. The site has two main goals: 1) to grow native plants to supply the center with organic food and medicinal plants 2) to act as a permaculture demonstration site within the Aquicuana Reserve for both locals and guests.
Working alongside our staff, the selected candidate will help plan and design the site. Together we’ll choose which trees and plants most suite the needs of Pisatahua and our community. The selected candidate will assist with the selection of species, collection of seeds, planting and maintenance of agricultural and medicinal crops within our nursery and agroforestry plot.
- Work alongside Pisatahua staff to establish a new permaculture site in the Aquicuana Reserve. This site should be a sustainable agricultural system that utilizes properties of agroforestry systems as found in the local ecology of the region.
- Teach permaculture techniques to local communities and Pisatahua staff; design and lead permaculture training workshops.
- Create, design and implement a plan for collecting and germinating seeds, as well as cultivating young plants.
- Identify species, collect seeds, propagate plants, and establish kitchen and medicinal plant gardens.
- Manage and create a strategy for crop rotation, composting and soil production.
- Create, implement and manage a comprehensive plan to meet the above stated goals.
- A degree in sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, tropical agriculture, horticulture, or related field is preferred
- Experience working in rural agricultural settings, especially in Spanish speaking environments is preferred
- Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred
- 3 month time commitment
- Completion of a permaculture design course
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and mental stability
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexibility and patience
How to Apply
Please send the following information to email@example.com, clearly stating your position(s) of interest:
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to contribute during your stay with us.