Plant Inventory and Mapping Specialist
Pisatahua is currently receiving applications for our Plant Medicine Inventory Project. Working with a local informant, the selected applicant will identify, photograph, and write a guide to Aquicuana’s medicinal & edible plants.
The selected candidate will create informational material identifying the names, properties and traditional usages of plants and trees located in the Aquicuana Reserve. Following a well-maintained trail, he/she will create a user friendly map so that locals and guests can traverse the trail, while learning about Amazonian plant medicines.
The selected candidate will work alongside local healers and specialists to gain an understanding of the role of traditional healing practices, including primary plant species and their uses. They will work at the intersection of contemporary and traditional medicine as it is used, shared, implemented, and recounted in the Bolivian Amazon. This position provides the unique opportunity to gain an understanding of traditional plant-medicine practices, while helping to preserve the local knowledge of indigenous peoples.
- A degree in ecology, botany, range science, soil science, wildlife biology, natural resource management, biology, conservation biology or related field
- Ability to identify plants to species and experience with a taxonomic key
- Familiarity with Amazonian flora
- Background in statistics/Microsoft Suite, including Access
- Experience creating maps and performing functions with GIS software (ArcMap)
- Ability to converse in Spanish and English
- Minimum time commitment of 3 months
- Be professional and take responsibilities seriously
- Capacity to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Physical and Mental Stability
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision
- Flexibility and patience
How to Apply:
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly stating your position(s) of interest:
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter explaining your interest in partnering with Pisatahua
In your cover letter, please mention your available dates, languages spoken, specific skills that would be beneficial to our work, previous experience with plant medicines and/or retreats and what you hope to accomplish during your stay with us.